October 12, 2016 posted by William J. Coldwell
The NetBSD Foundation has initiated a contract with Kamil Rytarowski
to complete the following during it:
1. Add missing interfaces in ptrace(2), mostly sync it with
the FreeBSD capabilities, add ATF tests, add documentation.
2. Develop process plugin in LLDB based on the FreeBSD code in
LLDB and make it functional (start passing at least some tests).
3. Revamp the process plugin in LLDB for new remote debugging
capabilities (in order to get it accepted and merged upstream),
pass more tests.
4. LLDB x86 support, pass more of the standard LLDB tests
and import LLDB to the NetBSD base. Add some ATF LLDB basic
functionality tests to the tree. The original tests are
unreliable and generate false positives.
5. Develop missing features needed for .NET (POSIX robust
mutexes), add ATF tests.
6. Develop missing features for VirtualBox as host, including
needing sigevent(2) on par with POSIX and SIGEV_KEVENT, and
other real-time AIO related interfaces as needed.
7. Port Apple's Swift programming language. Enhance .NET port to
validate new interface and correct more issues as needed.
8. Improve VirtualBox host support. Make it build first by disabling
missing features of providing empty facades for them.
9. Implement CDROM, floppy, NIC support for NetBSD in VBox as host.
10. Make VirtualBox runnable at least with a restricted feature set, ship
it in pkgsrc, and submit it upstream.
The NetBSD Foundation will continue to work diligently with the
community to fund projects furthering specific key and quality
improvements to the NetBSD projects. We have a list of projects at
http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/ as well as welcome other proposals
to move our flag forward to next releases!
Thank you to Kamil for committing to it and we all look forward to it!
The NetBSD Foundation is a non-profit organization and welcomes any
donations to help us continue to fund projects and services to the
open-source community. Please consider visiting the following URL,
and chip in what you can:
Submitted for The NetBSD Foundation,
William J. Coldwell (billc@)
20161012: edited to fix #10 to be the correct wording.